Greetings to all of our new and returning PCPC Members!
We would like to extend a warm welcome to the new members joining PCPC and a large Welcome Back to our returning members. Whether you are new to the Board or a returning Board member at your centre, we hope the craziness of the start of the year is starting to die down and things are getting into a nice routine.
This is our first e-newsletter for the season. In these you will find lots of helpful information and reminders for the Board and Staff. Please take a look at those who received this and if we are missing someone on your Board have them contact us so we can get them added to our list.
I have spoken to many centres recently but a reminder that with the new season also comes new codes for our PCPC Website. If you do not have the current codes we have not received your updated membership information. Please contact me so we can get you in as there are many fabulous resources which will help you do the job you need to do.
As always, PCPC is here for our members! Should you have any questions, be looking for something in particular, or just feel unsure of where to start with your new role, please feel welcome to send me an email anytime. If you would prefer to set up a call, send an email with a couple good times to be reached and we can schedule something that works for you! Should there be something you would like to see on our site or in our newsletters, let us know!
Summer is over and fall is here, a time of new beginnings.
As a member of PCPC, you will be regularly informed about childcare news to give you an insider’s view of this exciting community!
Board of Directors
- If you are new to your Board of Directors and this is one of the first PCPC e-newsletters that you are receiving, we want to let you know that you can also view older editions of our eNews on our website.
- Has Your Centre provided PCPC with their updated information? All PCPC Member Centres are entitled to a basic information page on the PCPC website, but we need you to take a moment to fill in the form so that we can ensure that we are posting the most current information for your Centre. All Member Centres should check the details of their Centre’s page regularly in case updates are needed: address, telephone numbers, websites, etc. You can request an update to your profile any time with this form.
[*] Please Note: If you are listed on our public website (www.pcpcontario.org/schools) and your information is correct you do not need to fill out the form again.
- Filling the Gap: Recruiting New Directors for Your Board! It’s the time of year that Boards are just starting up again after the summer holidays, and positions may be vacant and need to be filled as quickly as possible. This tipsheet offered on the PCPC Member’s website offers advice on filling these positions simply!
- Charities and Giving: What’s New: — The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has started making automated courtesy calls notifying registered charities that the due date for filing their completed information return is approaching. Every registered charity, even those that are inactive, must file a complete information return each year, no later than six months after the end of its fiscal period. A charity’s registered status may be revoked if it doesn’t file.
The automated message states that the annual return must be filed shortly, and provides information about contacting the CRA for additional details. It does not include any taxpayer information. If you received this call and your charity has already filed its return, disregard the message.
- Ontario Introduces Legislation To Create Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs — Province proposing $15 minimum wage and equal pay for part-time and full-time workers to help vulnerable workers in a changing economy. To read this News Release from the Province of Ontario, please click here.
- The Overflowing Inbox: How to Keep Email from Taking Over Your Work Life — This informative article written by Susan Fish and presented by Charity Village is a must read for anyone feeling overwhelmed by email (you will learn some tips to help you better manage your email!)
- Ontario Increasing Access to Affordable Child Care — The Province of Ontario appoints expert reviewer to conduct affordability study with the goal of building a child care system that makes child care universally accessible and affordable to all Ontario families. The study is expected to be complete by the end of February 2018. Click here to read this news release from the Province of Ontario.
- First Canada Food Guide Overhaul in Decades — The first overhaul of the Canada Food Guide in decades sees the shift away from meat and dairy and places an emphasis on plant-based foods. This overhaul could alter what children eat at school and daycare, how they learn about food, and ultimately, how grocery stores stock their shelves. The new Canada Food Guide materials will be published next year.
- Commonly Forgotten Budget Items — In this ExchangeEveryDay article, Lori Harris (author of the book, ‘Managing Money in early Childhood Organizations) calls out two budget items that are often forgotten (or at least underestimated): Substitute Teachers and Professional Development.
Substitute Teachers: ‘If you offer vacation and want to maintain ratios, you need substitutes. And people get sick. It is an expense that most of us do not include in our budgets, but we pay for them in staff morale if not in dollars.’
Professional Development: ‘Here you include any courses, training, or conferences you would like your staff to attend. Conference attendance can include registration fees, overnight accommodations, meals, and travel or employees can pay part.’
- Morneau-Shepell Presents the 2017 Canadian Survey of Annual Cash Compensation by Benchmark Positions — Participation is open until October 31, 2017. For the second consecutive year, all participants will receive the Human Resources for 2018 Report ($700 value) as their compliment. Click here to pre-order yours today.
There is no cost to participate and the Participant’s Guide can be downloaded here, and the data input form here.
For more information, please contact www.morneaushepell.com/ca-en/compensation-consulting or 1.866.222.0012
- Smart Marketing Moves — Building enrollment is not as easy as it used to be, explains Julie Wassom (in the book, ‘Promoting Early Childhood Services’. These five smart marketing moves that will give you a measurable return on your investment:
- Do a website marketing audit — create experiences that guide the visitor toward completing a specific action
- Make immediate, personalized follow-up part of your protocol
- Develop a strong parent referral program
- Make your email marketing content rich
- Use a customer relationship management system to track prospects from inquiry to registration and enrollment
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This FREE service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting – a great way to find that new member for your team! Please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
- Do You Have Any Recommendations? PCPC always has Centres looking for recommendations for companies and/or individuals that can help them out with bookkeeping, auditing, fundraising, etc. If you have any recommendations that you would like to pass along we would greatly appreciate it. All recommendations can be emailed to Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director.
- This year it’s a different flu season! Protect yourself against the flu — go to the Ontario Ministry of Health for up-to-date information — www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ccom/flu/
- The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for Centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our ‘Members’ Only section’ of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
This Month’s Highlight: Grand & Toy!
Save up to 55% with Grand & Toy for every room in your office
Whether it’s a new chair, desk, filing cabinet, computer, work station or cleaning products, Grand & Toy has something for every part of your office. Click here to find out how you can save up to 55% on a wide range of products.
PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e-newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
Facebook: PCPC — www.facebook.com/ParentCoOperativePreschoolCorporationPcpc
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com at your convenience.