Board of Directors
1) New on the
- An updated version of our Sample Child Care Program Statement! The Program Statement for downloading is located at the bottom of this document, as well as an instruction sheet and checklist for your convenience.
2) Webinar Wednesdays: Getting the Right Insurance Coverage for Your Board and Employees is being presented on behalf of Ontario Nonprofit Network by Carolyn Marczynski and Paul Spark of HUB International on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 from 12-1pm FREE! Please register for this very informative webinar.
3) Province Completes Design of the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan
Ontario has announced new decisions on the proposed design of the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP)—another step in delivering on its commitment to strengthen retirement income security for the two-thirds of Ontario workers without a secure workplace pension plan.
The government released details on the ORPP’s funding policy, combined with details released last August, will help employers prepare for the implementation of the ORPP, beginning on January 1, 2017.
4) 2016 Wage Enhancement for Early Childhood Educators —Giving children the best possible start in life, and ensuring that families have access to safe, high quality, licensed child care is a top priority for Ontario. Following a similar wage increase in 2015, this year the Ministry of Education is providing another increase to Early Childhood Educators and other child care program staff in the licensed child care sector.
5) The Globe and Mail Special Insert on Co-operatives —You may not be a co-op but you are a valuable part of the co-op community … this year there will be two special features prepared, the first will be published on May 17th and the second on October 5th.
6) PCPC has recently sent an email to your Centre asking for your participation in our online survey regarding Support Staff and Sick Pay at your Centre. We will send out the survey result after the survey closes on Friday, May 6, 2016 at 5pm. The survey should only take 2 minutes to complete and your answers are completely anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation—we greatly appreciate your input! www.surveymonkey.com/r/SKTFGTN
7) PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting—a great way to find that new member for your team! We wanted to let you know that spring is an especially busy time of year for job postings with posting dates filling up quickly, so if your Centre is looking to hire, please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
7) Spring is here! Is your website up to date? There are normally a lot of changes which should be posted at this time of year. For instance: Open House dates, the fees for the upcoming year/session, changes in hours (if any), and your summer program details (if you’ll be running one).
If your website is managed by PCPC, and you need help making the necessary changes, please get in touch with webmaster Ken Simons (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please join us in welcoming the newest PCPC members!
- Lakeshore Co-operative Nursery School
- Champions Childrens Centre
- Stittsville Co-operative Nursery School
- Locomotion Day Care Centre
- Upper Yonge Village Daycare Centre
1) New on the PCPC website: Policy Standing and Recreational Bodies of Water in Licensed Child Care Settings (member login required)
2) CST Inspired Minds Learning Project —The annual CST Learning Project competition encourages, inspires and FUNDS new learning activities for children from infancy to 17 years of age in communities across the nation.
The top prize is $100,000! Got an idea that can improve your child’s daycare, classroom or sports group? Submit that Idea and compete to win prize money to make it happen. A range of prizes are available to be won.
Contest Deadline: April 29, 2016 at 5pm (ET)—Winners announced: June 2, 2016!
3) The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our members’ only section of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
The Co-op Cost Cutters 2016 mailing has been sent. They are also revamping their website!
The PCPC Purchasing Program includes the following companies with products and services available at great discounts:
- Appliance Canada (ENERGY STAR appliances)
- Dulux Paints (painting and paint equipment)
- HD Supply (all building maintenance supplies)
- Grand & Toy (office supplies, office furniture and accessories)
- Ricoh (ENERGY STAR photocopiers)
- Lumenix (LED retrofits made easy)
- Sherwin Williams (paint, paint supplies and flooring)
4) Dulux Paints Spring Special! Save an extra 20% off the current Co-op Cost Cutters price!
5) HiMama —This unique company has an e-newsletter that is full of great articles, and we thought that we would share a few of the interesting articles from their most recent e-newsletter—enjoy!
- Tips for Creating a Green Child Care Center Environment
- Can We Bring Fair Pay and Respect to Preschool Teachers?
- Child Care in the News: Ontario Backs Down from Proposed Daycare Changes
6) PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
- Santa’s Village
- Roberta Aqui: RIRO Resiliency Skills Training Program
- Early Childhood Studies Degree Completion program at the University of Guelph-Humber in Toronto
- Ontario Playgrounds
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
Since our last e newsletter the most read postings by hundreds:
- Introducing Exchange Live… Connect with Exchange Magazine wherever and whenever you want! ChildCareExchange.com
- Make Homemade Flubber Borax Free Sensory Play
- Rainbow Discovery Bottles—Play to Learn
- Plus many great activities and crafts to do with children—definitely worth trying!
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact
Strengthening the partnership between teachers and parents in childcare since 1974
Shannon Stephens, Executive Director