Board of Directors
- This is the time of year when PCPC will be sending out the renewal invoices for PCPC Membership for July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. In order to ensure there is no interruption to your membership and your Board can continue to benefit from the great support and resources PCPC has to offer, please watch for the invoice in your inbox after June 1st and pay it promptly. Codes will be changed as of July 1 and new codes will be emailed out upon receipt of payment. Should you have any questions about your membership, or while wrapping up the year for your Centre, please do not hesitate to contact PCPC.
- With some of the Centres closing for the summer break shortly, we are all on the road to signing contracts, updating Personnel handbook, perhaps even hiring … remember that the PCPC website is full of resources that can help!
- June is the time of year to review your governance for the past year, and if you feel that PCPC can help, please contact us to book governance workshop(s)for your new board.
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting – a great way to find that new member for your team! We wanted to let you know that spring is an especially busy time of year for job postings with posting dates filling up quickly, so if your Centre is looking to hire, please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
- 2016 Wage Enhancement for Early Childhood Educators — Giving children the best possible start in life, and ensuring that families have access to safe, high quality, licensed child care is a top priority for Ontario. Following a similar wage increase in 2015, this year the Ministry of Education is providing another increase to Early Childhood Educators and other child care program staff in the licensed child care sector.
- Important deadlines for the Provincial Wage Enhancement program:
- March 31, 2016
- Operator submits completed forms to their municipal, Children’s Services – failure to meet this deadline will result in the centre not be considered for the PWE grant for 2016
- April 2016
- The Municipality notifies operators of approved PWE grant amount and distributes contracts for signature.
- Mid May 2016
- Once the signed contracts are returned, the municipality disburses funds to all eligible operators
- June 2016
- Centre Implementation of Grant Distribution Plan and Payment to Staff
- January 31, 2017
- Centre submits Annual Wage Enhancement Reconciliation Statement
- July 31, 2017
- Agencies in receipt of Wage Enhancement funding in 2016 will provide final documentation as prescribed in the Reconciliation process to their Municipality.
- News Release: Ontario is Proposing to Ban Fees for Child Care Wait Lists — Ontario is proposing a regulation that would ban licensed child care centres and home child care agencies from charging fees to join a waiting list for child care programs. The proposed regulation is now available on the Ontario Regulatory website for public feedback. The consultation period will close on July 4, 2016 (click on the link for the Ontario Regulatory website for the ways that you can provide feedback on this proposed regulation).
If the proposed regulation is passed, licensed child care centres and home child care agencies will be required to develop a public wait-list policy that sets out the order in which children on the list are offered admission, and parents will be able to monitor their wait list status in a way that ensures confidentiality – all of these changes would have to be implemented by September 1, 2016.
- Province Completes Design of the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan — Ontario has announced new decisions on the proposed design of the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP) — another step in delivering on its commitment to strengthen retirement income security for the two-thirds of Ontario workers without a secure workplace pension plan.
The government released details on the ORPP’s funding policy, combined with details released last August, will help employers prepare for the implementation of the ORPP, beginning on January 1, 2017.
- The Globe and Mail Special Insert on Co-operatives — You may not be a co-op but you are a valuable part of the co-op community… this year there will be two special features prepared, the first was published on May 17th and the second will be published on October 5th.
- Snapd Publications: This unique community publication (and website) has grown to become the #1 source for positive community events – they help to grow organizations, inspire participation and connect people with over 250,000 social media connections and over 2,500,000 readers in print and online every month. If you have a community event to promote, this might just be the marketing resource that you need!
- Morneau Shepell is the PCPC provider for our Group Benefits Coverage. They have a long-standing partnership with PCPC and their members, offering adjustable and affordable group benefit solutions. PCPC members who are part of the plan would have recently received their renewals in the mail.
Please note the following two items in your renewal package:
- If you have any updates on your staff for the plan, please use the attached Change Form; and,
- To make life easier for your Treasurer, you may wish to take advantage of their automatic withdrawal of payments plan
- Summer is almost here! Is your website up to date? There are normally a lot of changes which should be posted at this time of year. For instance: Open House dates, the fees for the upcoming year/session, changes in hours (if any), and your summer program details (if you’ll be running one).
If your website is managed by PCPC, and you need help making the necessary changes, please get in touch with webmaster Ken Simons (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Do You Have Any Recommendations? PCPC always has Centres looking for recommendations for companies and/or individuals that can help them out with bookkeeping, auditing, fundraising, etc. If you have any recommendations that you would like to pass along we would greatly appreciate it. All recommendations can be emailed to Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director.
- The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our ‘member’s only section’ of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
The PCPC Purchasing Program includes the following companies with products and services available at great discounts:
- Appliance Canada (ENERGY STAR appliances)
- Dulux Paints (painting and paint equipment)
- HD Supply (all building maintenance supplies)
- Grand & Toy (office supplies, office furniture and accessories)
- Ricoh (ENERGY STAR photocopiers)
- Lumenix (LED retrofits made easy)
- Sherwin Williams (paint, paint supplies and flooring)
- PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
Since our last e newsletter the most read postings by hundreds:
- 34 Things to Make and Do with Playdough
- 32 Fun DIY Backyard Games To Play (for kids and adults!)
- Road Trip Printables for Kids: Restaurant I Spy
- Introducing Exchange Live… ChildCareExchange.com — www.childcareexchange.com/eed/view/4144
- Why You Should Just Put a Bunch of Stuff Outside and Let Your Kids Play With It
- Father’s Day – CBC Parents (simple crafts, healthy recipes, active living ideas, easy ways to learn through play and details on your kids favourite Kids’ CBC shows)
Plus many great activities and crafts to do with children – definitely worth trying!
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com at your convenience.