Summer is over and fall is here, a time of new beginnings.
As a member of PCPC, you will be regularly informed about childcare news to give you an insider’s view of this exciting community!
Board of Directors
- If you are new to your Board of Directors and this is one of the first PCPC e-newsletters that you are receiving, we want to let you know that you can also view older editions of our eNews on our website.
- NEW! PCPC Now Has All of Our Human Resources Documents Available on the members’ website!
For the last few years we have hosted our HR material on the HR PAR website. This has restricted access to the HR documents to only the HR Chair and Supervisor at each Centre.
Recognizing how busy our members are, we are always looking for ways to better serve the members of PCPC. So in order to streamline our HR information, we have decided to part ways with HR PAR and host all our HR documents on a section of our Members’ Only Website. No longer will you need to log into a separate website.
Simply log onto the PCPC members’ website and you will have access to all of our Human Resources documents !
- Are You A Co-operative? In 2015, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) launched a Mandatory Information Return for co-operatives, which was designed to obtain and compile data on the sector in Ontario in order to support policy-making in this area. The information return included questions about the co-operatives’ contact information, financial information and governance practices.
If your co-operative has not yet filed the information return, you must complete and return the Co-operative Contact Information Update Schedule immediately.
If your co-operative is no longer active, please email or telephone (416-250-725# FSCO to indicate this and that you require FSCO to cancel your charter.
Not sure if your co-operative submitted the mandatory information return? You can check on the FSCO website at www5.fsco.gov.on.ca/co-op/default.aspx.
- Has Your Centre provided PCPC with their updated information? All PCPC Member Centres are entitled to a basic information page on the PCPC website, but we need you to take a moment to fill in the form so that we can ensure that we are posting the most current information for your Centre. All Member Centres should check the details of their Centre’s page regularly in case updates are needed: address, telephone numbers, websites, etc. You can request an update to your profile any time with this form.
- Please Note: If you are listed on our public website (www.pcpcontario.org/schools) and your information is correct you do not need to fill out the form again.
- Bill 132 Update: Ontario’s Sexual Violence and Harassment Legislation Became Law on September 8, 2016 — Bill 132 amends various existing statutes with respect to sexual violence, sexual harassment and domestic violence. For employers, Bill 132 presents important workplace-related changes, by amending the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) to require employers to implement specific workplace harassment policies and programs and ensure that incidents and complaints of workplace harassment are appropriately investigated.
PCPC has amended our sample policies to reflect these changes and are available on the members’ website under the new tab, Human Resources.
- Filling the Gap: Recruiting New Directors for Your Board! It’s the time of year that Boards are just starting up again after the summer holidays, and positions may be vacant and need to be filled as quickly as possible. This tipsheet offered on the PCPC members’ website offers advice on filling these positions simply!
- Morneau Shepell is the PCPC provider for our Group Benefits Coverage. You will be receiving shortly by email a document outlining all of the affordable, flexible and convenient benefits that they have to offer our members. For more information on the PCPC group benefit program or for a free, no-obligation quote, please contact Morneau Shepell at 1.866.432.8427 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News Release: Ontario has Passed the Regulation to Ban Fees for Child Care Wait Lists!
The passing of this regulation means that as of September 1, 2016 licensed child care centres and home child care agencies cannot charge fees to join a waiting list for their child care program.
Child care providers will have until January 1, 2017 to develop a public waitlist policy that clearly explains how children on the list are offered admission. The waitlist will also have to be made available to families, while at the same time protecting the confidentiality of their personal information.
We will do our best to stay on top of information released regarding this policy change, however, we would welcome you to share any information that you receive from the Ministry with us so that we can ensure that all of our members are kept up-to-date.
We will be working on providing resources regarding the waitlist fee policy shortly.
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) is up for review in 2017 and Imagine Canada, the Ontario Non-Profit Network (ONN) and the members of the Canadian Federation of Vuluntary Sector Networks is looking for some help…
Please complete this brief (5 minute) questionnaire so they can have some information about how the legislation has impacted, and will impact non-profits and charities. It is anonymous and all responses will be kept confidential. If you wish to receive a copy of the public summary report, please indicate so in your response.
- Are you a Charity? New Inforgraphic: T3010 Filing Due Dates
The Charities Directorate is introducing new ways to encourage voluntary compliance in the charitable sector. Registered charities have core responsibilities, one of which is to file an annual information return within six months of the charity’s fiscal year-end. If they do not file, they may lose their charitable registration. The CRA has recently developed a new infographic to help charities remember their filing deadlines.
- FREE WEBINAR: Goldilocks and the Three Sponsorship Proposals: How to Build a Sponsorship Proposal that is ‘Just Right’ (presented by Charity Village, as advertised in the Village Vibes e-newsletter)
Date: Thursday, September 22 at 10am PST / 1pm EST (webinar is one hour in length)
Skill Level: Introductory. Great for those new to fundraising and sponsorship, as well as fundraising veterans looking to refine their approach to creating sponsorship packages.
Cost: Free — Space is limited so register early to avoid disappointment
Not sure if you can make the live session? Not to worry — everyone who registers gets a copy of the full recording, regardless of attendance. Watch for it in your inbox the day after the webinar.
Click here for more information and to register.
- Accessibility Ontario has many upcoming workshops/events for the month of September…
- Accessibility Compliance 101
- Introduction to Web and Digital Document Accessibility
- Strategies for Web Accessibility
Please visit Accessibility Ontario for a complete listing of events and for more information.
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting — a great way to find that new member for your team! Please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
- Do You Have Any Recommendations? PCPC always has Centres looking for recommendations for companies and/or individuals that can help them out with bookkeeping, auditing, fundraising, etc. If you have any recommendations that you would like to pass along we would greatly appreciate it. All recommendations can be emailed to Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director.
- The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for Centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our ‘members’ only section’ of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
This month’s highlights:
- Appliance Canada — offering ENERGY STAR appliances! Contact Fred Mansoub (email@example.com) or Clarissa Leal (firstname.lastname@example.org) to place an order
- Dulux Paints — offering paint and painting equipment! To place an order, please contact Stephen Lowe at 1-800-387-7311 extension 1 or email@example.com
- HD Supply — offering building maintenance supplies! To place an order, please contact Basil Sealy at 1-800-782-0557 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- With the new school year starting, it’s time to learn about protecting yourself against the flu — Visit the Ontario Ministry of Health for up-to-date information — www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ccom/flu/
- PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
- Santa’s Village — www.santasvillage.ca
Facebook: PCPC — www.facebook.com/ParentCoOperativePreschoolCorporationPcpc
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com at your convenience.
Strengthening the partnership between teachers and parents in childcare since 1974
Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director