Hoping all of our Co-operative Members had a Happy Co-op Week October 16-22!
What’s in this issue?
- NEW! PCPC Now Has All of Our Human Resources Documents Available on the Members’ Website!
- Ontario Regulation 137/15 CCEYA—Requirements for the August 29, 2016 Implementation
- Make It Easy To Be A Board Member
- What’s Happened in the Ontario Legislature?
- Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) – Mandatory Information Return for co-operatives
- Has Your Centre provided PCPC with their updated information?
- Morneau Shepell is the PCPC provider for our Group Benefits Coverage
- Are you a Charity? New Infographic: T3010 Filing Due Dates
- CRA’s Online Consultation on Charities’ Political Activities
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service
- HiMama Early Childhood Educator Award?
- FREE 30-Minute Consultations with Children’s Support Experts—offered by Morneau-Shepell
Board of Directors
- If you are new to your Board of Directors and this is one of the first PCPC e-newsletters that you are receiving, we want to let you know that you can also view older editions of our eNews on this website.
- NEW! PCPC Now Has All of Our Human Resources Documents Available on the Members’ Website! For the last few years we have hosted our HR material on the HR PAR website. This has restricted access to the HR documents to only the HR Chair and Supervisor at each Centre. ?
Recognizing how busy our members are, we are always looking for ways to better serve the members of PCPC . So in order to streamline our HR information, we have decided to part ways with HR PAR and host all our HR documents on a section of our Members Only Website. No longer will you need to log into a separate website. Simply log onto the PCPC Members’ website and you will have access to all of our Human Resources documents!
- Ontario Regulation 137/15 CCEYA—Requirements for the August 29, 2016 Implementation Click here to view/download a tipsheet from the Ministry of Education. This tipsheet is an overview of the regulatory changes that came into effect on August 29, 2016 and are required for licensees. This tipsheet may be used as a tool to help you understand what you need to do to comply with these changes.
PCPC is working hard at updating our resources to reflect these changes as well, but as always, please don’t hesitate to contact us for advice and help with these requirements. We will be posting our new resources over the coming weeks!
- Make It Easy To Be A Board Member —This interesting article presented by Tom Little’s BIG Idea of the Week, explains how you can make your organization Board-friendly!
- What’s Happened in the Ontario Legislature? The September 12, 2016 Throne Speech announces creation of 100,000 licensed infant to preschool child care spaces within the next 5 years, starting in 2017! These new child care spaces will bring the total number of spaces created since 2013 to 156,000 and doubling the current capacity for the 0-4 age group.
- Click here to read the News Release from the September Throne Speech.
- Click here to read the News Release ‘Ontario Creating 100,000 More Licensed Child Care Spaces,’ from September 23, 2016.
- Click here to read the article ‘Ontario urged to expand daycare in non-profit sector’ that was presented in thestar.com and written by Laurie Monsebraaten, in response to the announcement (about creating 100,000 new licensed child care spaces within the next five years) in the Throne Speech in September 2016.
- Are You A Co-operative?
In 2015, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) launched a Mandatory Information Return for co-operatives, which was designed to obtain and compile data on the sector in Ontario in order to support policy-making in this area. The information return included questions about the co-operatives’ contact information, financial information and governance practices.
- If your co-operative has not yet filed the information return, you must complete and return to the Co-operative Contact Information Update Schedule immediately.
- If your co-operative is no longer active, please email or telephone (416-250-7250) FSCO to indicate this and that you require FSCO to cancel your charter.
- Not sure if your co-operative submitted the mandatory information return?* You can check on the FSCO website at www5.fsco.gov.on.ca/co- op/default.aspx.
- Has Your Centre provided PCPC with their updated information?* All PCPC Member Centres are entitled to a basic information page on the PCPC website, but we need you to take a moment to fill in the form so that we can ensure that we are posting the most current information for your Centre. All Member Centres should check the details of their Centre’s page regularly in case updates are needed: address, telephone numbers, websites, etc. You can request an update to your profile any time with this form.
- Please Note: If you are listed on our public website and your information is correct you do not need to fill out the form again.
- Morneau Shepell is the PCPC provider for our Group Benefits Coverage. You will be receiving shortly by email a document outlining all of the affordable, flexible and convenient benefits that they have to offer our members. For more information on the PCPC group benefit program or for a free, no-obligation quote, please contact PCPC (or Morneau Shepell at 1.866.432.8427 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Are you a Charity? New Inforgraphic: T3010 Filing Due Dates The Charities Directorate is introducing new ways to encourage voluntary compliance in the charitable sector. Registered charities have core responsibilities, one of which is to file an annual information return within six months of the charity’s fiscal year-end. If they do not file, they may lose their charitable registration. The CRA has recently developed a new infographic to help charities remember their filing deadlines.
- CRA’s Online Consultation on Charities’ Political Activities: As announced in Budget 2016, the CRA will collaborate with the Department of Finance to engage with charities to clarify the rules governing political activities. The online consultations are now open, and the in-person consultations—which will be held in six cities across Canada—will follow at a later date. The online consultations are the first step in a broader engagement process, and are open to all Canadians, including charities. Click here for more information and to submit your feedback before November 25, 2016.
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting—a great way to find that new member for your team! Please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
- HiMama Early Childhood Educator Award— Is there a special ECE at your centre who you feel deserves to receive the title of Early Childhood Educator of the Year? HiMama currently has nominations open until November 2nd for this award. More details can be found here.
- Do You Have Any Recommendations? PCPC always has Centres looking for recommendations for companies and/or individuals that can help them out with bookkeeping, auditing, fundraising, etc. If you have any recommendations that you would like to pass along we would greatly appreciate it. All recommendations can be emailed to Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director.
- FREE 30-Minute Consultations with Children’s Support Experts—offered by Morneau-Shepell: This fall Morneau-Shepell is offering free 30-minute consultations to help you identify your child’s strengths and challenges and how to help them succeed. Please contact a Child and Family Advisor to book this consultation and for more information.
- The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for Centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our ‘members’ only section’ of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
This month’s highlights:
- Grand & Toy Fall Specials! Click here
- PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
- Roberta Aqui—Reaching IN Reaching OUT (RIRO) Resiliency Skills Training Program Roberta4RIRO@gmail.com
- Chess ‘N Math Association
Facebook: PCPC – www.facebook.com/ParentCoOpera tivePreschoolCorporationPcpc
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
Since our last e-newsletter the most read postings by hundreds:
- Outdoor Play Essential to Childhood Development
- Autism Discussion Page
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com at your convenience.
Strengthening the partnership between teachers and parents in childcare since 1974
Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org