Greetings PCPC Members!
It is hard to believe that November is already winding down! I am sure for Boards new and old the last couple of months have been rather busy getting the year off to a great start. Hopefully your centre has been making great use of the PCPC resources, and Board training on our website, and your new members are starting to feel a little more at ease. Still have some questions? That is what PCPC is here for — feel free to email us anytime and let us know what you need assistance with and we would be happy to help. If you would prefer to set up a phone call simply email us Shannon and let us know the best time and number to reach you.
During the next month we ask all our members to keep their eyes peeled on their emails as there will be details coming out regarding PCPC’s upcoming AGM in December. Over the last few years in response to the needs of the busy members of PCPC we have moved our AGM to be completely electronic. You will be receiving an email shortly with more details, as well as where to find info on our website for the motions which need to be made, and what date voting will take place. It will only take a few minutes of your time. We thank you in advance for your participation.
PCPC Executive Director
Board of Directors
- What’s NEW on the PCPC Website?
PCPC is pleased to announce that there are a number of NEW (or updated) policies and procedures available on the Members’ Only Website! We have been hard at work over the past few months to update our resources to ensure that our policies and procedures comply with the new Ministry regulations!
- Emergency Management Guide — NEW
- Safe Drinking Water Policy — NEW
- Accessibility Policy — NEW
- Vulnerable Sector Check Policy — Updated
- Bill 148: Are You Ready? The Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, Bill 148 is currently in its second reading, under debate and anticipated to be reviewed in the coming weeks… Are You Ready? Is your non-profit on top of the changes and potential impacts of this Bill? Click here for 5 things you need KNOW and DO now! (presented by the Ontario Nonprofit Network)
Bill 148 covers a lot of territory including:
- Pay for part-time, casual temporary and seasonal employees
- (Mis)representing employees as third-party contractors
- Personal emergency leave
- Other leaves
Remember that some of these changes will start in early 2018, so it is important to educate yourself and your organization now!
- Performance Management and Your Centre! It is the time of year that many Supervisors/Human Resource Chairs are starting to think about their first performance management meeting with employees… if you need help with this task, remember that the PCPC website has great information about this topic and as always, you can contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-410-2667) with more detailed questions.
If you are new to your Board of Directors and this is one of the first PCPC e-newsletters that you are receiving, we want to let you know that you can also view older editions of our eNews on our website.
- Has Your Centre provided PCPC with their updated information? All PCPC Member Centres are entitled to a basic information page on the PCPC website, but we need you to take a moment to fill in the form so that we can ensure that we are posting the most current information for your Centre. All Member Centres should check the details of their Centre’s page regularly in case updates are needed: address, telephone numbers, websites, etc. You can request an update to your profile any time with this form.
*Please Note: If you are listed on our public website (www.pcpcontario.org/schools) and your information is correct you do not need to fill out the form again.
- Movement on the Ontario Not-For-Profit Corporations Act! On September 14, 2017 the Ontario government introduced Bill 154, Cutting Unnecessary Red Tape Act, 2017. The Bill proposed amendments to three important statutes affecting the nonprofit sector: The Ontario Corporations Act, the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010 and the Charities Accounting Act. Once Bill 154 is passed, it will be two more years before the ONCA is proclaimed into law and organizations have a further three years implementation period to become compliant with the new requirements. After that, they are deemed to comply (meaning ONCA provisions will override non-compliant bylaws). Click here to read and learn about Bill 154.
- Charities and Giving – What’s New – The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is pleased to announce the official launch of the new Charities Education Program, to support charities in meeting their obligations. For more information about this program, see the new website: Charities Education Program.
The CRA has also published a new webpage on Personal information of directors, trustees and like officials as it relates to registered charities and applicants.
- Hi Mama is Accepting Nominations for ECE of the Year! We all know how hard the ECEs at our centres work. Now is your chance to show them what they mean to your families! You can go here to place nominations.
- Nominations and voting are open until December 3, 2017, and jury deliberations begin on December 4, 2017
- The HiMama Early Childhood Educator of the Year will be announced on December 13, 2017
- PCPC wants to remind you about the FREE Job Posting service that we offer to our members. This FREE service will allow you to reach over 8600 email addresses (right here in Ontario) with your job posting — a great way to find that new member for your team! Please contact us so that we can get your job posting out to our email database and you can find that new employee!
All Members and Families
- Do You Have Any Recommendations? PCPC always has Centres looking for recommendations for companies and/or individuals that can help them out with bookkeeping, auditing, fundraising, etc. If you have any recommendations that you would like to pass along we would greatly appreciate it. All recommendations can be emailed to Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director.
- The PCPC Purchasing Program continues to provide outstanding discounts for Centres and their members.
Don’t forget to check our Members’ Only section of the website for information on all the companies included in our Purchasing Program. Discounts are available to all our members, for purchases for the centre and personal use as well.
This means not just the staff and Board Members at our centres but each and every family! Feel free to share information about this program with the families at your centre.
- PCPC sends out to the general child care sector in Ontario a variety of paid ads however, we have chosen not to overload our members with their information several times a week.
Instead, we will list in the body of the e newsletters activity during the current and past month and if you wish further information on the products/services, please contact PCPC for their flyer.
- High Peaks Playground Consulting — www.highpeaks.ca
- Rogers Centre — www.rogerscentre.ca
- Childlife.ca — www.childlife.ca
- Advertisement for a Child Care Organization (in Thornhill, Ontario) which is having a HUGE sale on infant, toddler and preschool toys as well as daycare equipment! For more information or to book a viewing appointment please call 416-494-5898 ext. 223
Facebook: PCPC — www.facebook.com/ParentCoOperativePreschoolCorporationPcpc
Have you read a great article lately that you think others would enjoy? Let us know and we can share it on our Facebook page!
As always, if you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com at your convenience.
Strengthening the partnership between teachers and parents in childcare since 1974
Shannon Stephens, PCPC Executive Director